Regent University School of Udnergraduate Studies

Friday, March 9, 2007

Who am I to question?

I pose this question due to the fact I have recently had the assignment of coming up with a personal KM (knowledge management) strategy for my future. It had to be about a goal that you had, and mine was about my future career.

I am currently and Admissions Counselor for the school of Undergraduate Studies, however, that position is not what I ultimately have in mind as a career for the rest of my life. Just as I am here at Regent for only a time, I am also at this job for only a time.

I have always wanted to be a math teacher in high school. Everything up to 12th grade math, but NOT Calc. or Statistics...seeing as I didn't even take the latter and HATED/failed miserably at the former. That was originally what I wanted to do before going to Elim. It has been almost 4 years, and the idea still intrigues me...

I think to myself, if I do not continue with this job, I will not have money for school, but then I also see the box I am trying to contain God in. Who am I to question His ultimate plan for my life, and Who am I to say that God cannot provide. Now would it be stupid if this is what His idea of providing would be, and then me not taking it...YES, absolutely. But this is what I am unsure of. If this is the Lord providing, I, by no means want to ignore it. However, if it is not, and this is NOT what I am supposed to be doing, I do not want to remain here simply because it is comfortable for me to wrap my mind around. It does not require any faith or trusting. I am completely away from the edge, and there is no jumping required. Is that where He wants me though...not jumping?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who are you to question? Well, your Stefanie, that's who. :)

I'm pretty sure God is open to your questions, and I'm pretty sure if you question him.....He won't trick you. So just trust what you are hearing. Night :)

Kyle Graham said...

Stef,

Math teacher, huh? Somehow I did not picture that... what about horticulture?

Hey, when it comes to finding God's will for your life, you will be happy to know that it is not up to you to find God's specific and perfect will for your life (accroding to my latest textbook about decision making and God). Accroding to that book, you have an area in which to work in, rather than trying to find a specific "dot" amidst a large field. Keep God's commandments, and respect his moral will, and everything else--including your decisions--will be worked out for the good. He gives you the freedom, wisdom, and responsibility to choose well. The best place to start is your passions and desires. What gets you really fired up? What makes you incredibly happy, and what really ticks you off? If these things don't include math (including calculus and statistics), then that may not be the path for you... next time you are in my office, ask me about that book.

Cya

Anonymous said...

Hey Stefanie! We don't know each other personally but I did have the pleasure of meeting you this past weekend at Regent's Preview Weekend. I was on your "Survivor" team, "The Young Fossils" lol...or The Purple(Stef's) Team! We know we were the real winners, Amen! I don't know if you would remember me but I introduced myself as Keith, from Texas, like to make short films for my church(tall, facial hair). Anyway, I was just browsing through Regent's website, found your blog and was just excited to see someone I recognized so I decided to say hey. Hope you don't mind.
Also, I would like to comment on your post. You pose a difficult qusetion, one that every Christian faces. "God, what is your will and where do I go from here?" Even the question about jumping or not jumping is difficult to answer. I believe God wants us to be comfortable but we must not forget how we got there and stop relying on Him, praising Him and worshiping Him. I believe God puts passions and desires in us and also gives us the gifts and talents to carry out those passions and desires for HIS purpose. It's more than just wandering around, doing good works, being a good person and hoping everything falls into place. That's not God's perfect will for anyone. I say this because it is up to you to find God's will for your life. God wants to let us know what His perfect will is for our lives and finding out should be our main focus. Romans 12:2 says that when we present our bodies as a living sacrifice and be transformed by renewing our minds by His Word, we will then be able to prove out His good and perfect will. In Ephesians 1 Paul prays for us that we may know what God has called us to do(or to know His perfect will). So it is for you to know and to find out for yourself or He wouldn't have told us how to find it out. The "Everything will work out for good" part, in it's context(Romans 8:26-28), is referring to God's purpose for your life but only for those who pray in the Spirit(tongues) and I trust you have recieved the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. It is necessary for a victorious life in Christ. I do agree about starting with your passions to finding God's will. I think if teaching math is your passion and especially since it has stuck with you for all these years then you should take a step of faith in that direction. Go for it man!! Keep it in prayer and if the door stays open and you continue to have an inner peace about it then keep moving in that direction. Phil. 4:7 "The peace of God surpasses all understanding."
I'm sorry, I know you don't even know me and I wasn't planning on preaching a message to you but I hope it helped. It's a passion of mine and when I start it's hard to stop, which leads me to believe that I'm called to preach the gospel...kinda scary. Oh and thats another thing...God may not call you to do something that you know you can do on your own...He likes to help.
I'm planning on coming to Regent in the Fall but if I see you on campus I'm probably going to hide, not knowing what you think of my little sermon here lol.

The publisher/owner of this website, Stefanie Proctor, is solely responsible for decisions regarding site content. The views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Regent University and Regent University assumes no liability for any material appearing herein.